Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Class Tip: Homemade Denim Organizers

My motto is "A hot glue gun is a terrible thing to waste."  If your classroom is like mine, storage space is a premium and money is no where to be found.

I was talking to a friend who visited a school that had "Aussie Pouches" on the back of the students' chairs. The kids had library books, crayons and paper stored in them.  It apparently looked like a wonky pillow case.  However, I don't have the $10 per pouch so I googled for instructions on how to make your own.

I came up with this site.  But being no seamstress and having zilch fabric, I pulled out my handy hot glue gun and scissors and an old pair of my daughter's blue jeans.  I recommend size 8 girl/boy jeans.  Any bigger and it overwhelms the chair and smaller provides poor storage.  Also go to thrift stores like Goodwill and stock up for $1.00 jeans.

Supplies:
Hot glue gun
Size 8-10 children's blue jeans
Scissors
Ribbon (Optional)
Very, very easy....

Cut the legs off the blue jeans right below the crouch area but be sure not to cut the crouch.  Get the jeans inside out and fold a seam.  Glue it and let dry.  Turn the jeans back (not inside out anymore).  Very carefully glue the legs shut.  The folded seam provides an extra glue line and it is very study. 

Using ribbon or the cut off legs, tie the jeans pocket onto the back of your students' chairs.  The back pockets can hold pencils/crayons.  The main pocket (where the child's waist would be) is a perfect fit for a manilla folder/books.

No comments:

Post a Comment